Friday, September 11, 2009

The Power of the Univision Coffee Mug

When was the last time a Latino male to female Transsexual barista raved about any television network?

Lupe works at the Peet's next to my office where I get one of my many daily coffee fixes. My daily dialogues with her consisted of the typical "Good morning... I'll have a tall coffee, room for milk".

Until Univision changed the nature of our relationship.

One day, my coffee request was accompanied by the Univision mug pictured here...for me, swag from a recent meeting and my small contribution to carbon print reduction.

For Lupe, a connection. "Univision!" she exclaimed. "That's my network". The conversation then moved to her favorite novelas and her memories of sitting with her family around the television singing with Don Francisco.

Another cliche, I know. But it did happen.

Univision's ratings dominance may not be optimal for those of us who want more competitive options in our media buys... but you cannot deny the power of that brand among Hispanic women, men and transexual baristas.

And thanks to a silly Univision mug, Lupe and I have taken our relationship to a whole new level. Instead of coffee I can ask for it by its proper name:

"Un cafecito por favor"







No comments:

Post a Comment